Wednesday, April 22, 2015

MOUNTAIN PASS MEMORIES


 I have fond memories of my family’s well-loved Candy Land board game.  I suspect my brain historically revised my preadolescent winnings to be impressively more unshakable than accurate, but I know I felt rather invincible as I played that game with my sister. There was nothing finer than zipping by Lollipop Woods toward the top of the playing board to hop past the Neapolitan ice-cream rafts floating along. I’m not sure anyone even likes those tasteless slabs of pseudo-ice cream…particularly the pale pink strawberry layer. 

Before Hasbro introduced the miserable villain Lord Licorice to the game in the mid-1980s, the only pitfall I recall experiencing was getting stuck in the dreaded Molasses swamp.






Candy Land reminiscing came easily recently when I visited Mrs. Baker’s classroom to view the Edible Landscape entries which were created as part of the Middle School’s recent adjudicated festival entitled, “Showcase!” 






It was a wonderful celebration of the arts.  Performing arts, fine arts, fiber arts and edible arts were all a part of the day. 


Edible Landscape Artists!



Competition guidelines dictated that all items used for the landscape were to be edible.  The only exceptions were the base and underlying support materials.








Luke and Marshall’s creation was even entitled Candy Land, though instead of the wholly arbitrary and often infuriating shortcuts- "rainbow pass and/or gumdrop trail" of my board game days, the boys constructed their bridge of taco shells.








Rabbits were spotted romping in the village scene created by Kate and Elizabeth.









As if we haven’t seen enough winter, snowmen were guarding the nonpareils on the Exploration of Seasons entry.  






This throwback to winter was easily forgiven as the girls gave a nod to summertime with bears in inner tubes bobbing down a river of frosting.  









Awesome Ellie took PINK to a whole new level!





The judging had not yet occurred when I made my morning visit. Some of the little touches on these projects were really great. 



My personal favorite was Sarah’s freshly cultivated Jelly Bean Garden.  Her pleasant crop rested alongside a Lasagna Dream House. Add a little alfredo sauce and it could qualify as MY dream house too.... 

If Sarah has aspirations in that direction, I do believe her future could be bright with Hasbro.  


Mrs. Zaskoda's Early Childhood Class stopped by to see the Edible Landscapes


I think he approves! 



No comments:

Post a Comment