Wednesday, February 4, 2015

For the Love of...MATH

Fine, I’ll admit it.  I am not a fan of mathematics. 


I work for a school, so I should probably not be saying things like that.  I love WORDS more than I can sufficiently express, so I’m hoping my word-love somehow makes up for my longstanding aversion to complicated mathematical equations.  My distaste for math  isn’t the numbers so much as it is the deciphering of problems which contain numbers.  I like numbers when I’m counting down to something really fun (just ask my coworkers…they can barely tolerate it when I announce to them how many school days are left on the calendar).  Some of my best friends are know-it-all mathematicians!  I don’t hold that against them.  Sudoku holds my interest sometimes (like when there is nothing else in the world to do….). I enjoy sharing what I have, so I’m good at division in terms of the other half of my Popsicle. The same cannot be said for a bowl of popcorn…I do not enjoy dividing that with other people AT ALL.  As in, I love you but MAKE YOUR OWN.  And you’ll be thankful to hear, I know enough algebra to figure out medication doses with my eyes closed. 


Maybe things would have been different if my math teacher had been Kathy Kennel.  She actually gets EXCITED about math (the same inconceivable fact is true of former math teacher Tara Holman. Instead of teaching, she now lends her mathematical brain to her position as Office Manager, keeping hundreds of details in line to make things run smoothly in Penn View’s Main Office). 


Their brains are just wired in fabulously mind-boggling ways.  It is pretty awesome how God makes us all different, many parts which make up the wonderful whole that is our community. 




I visited Kathy Kennel’s math class early last week.  This was the day we started school late and ended  it early because snowflakes were flying around outside in anticipation of the well-advertised Nor’easter which was heading our way.  Twelve different districts have historically bused students to Penn View.  Nine districts bus into Penn View Christian School this school year and only two were in session the day of my visit to math class.  Here, watch me do math! This means that many of the students from SEVEN of our districts were at home all cozy with hot chocolate and fuzzy slippers while the rest of us trudged through the snow to school. (Impressive math skills, no?!) 



Later in the day, Mrs. Kennel was going to teach a division concept while using licorice (seriously! licorice in math class!); but during the class period I visited, the seventh graders were playing a math game called GREED.  This is a game of dice which can involve addition, multiplication, and probability. 






























Mrs. Kennel was rolling the dice, laughing, and trash-talking while threatening to win the game.

“What’s the probability you’re going to get a zero?” she asked her students with not a small measure of glee.



To say the students were fully engaged would be an understatement.  Yelling and singing were part of the palpable excitement in the room.  On several occasions, the animation included jumping up and down. 








It was fascinating for the observer to note which students were willing to “gamble” and which were conservative.

Makenna and Eli are serious risk-takers! 





Olivia was the winner during the round I was observing.  As if they weren't enthusiastic enough, a bag of prizes awaited the winner of each round.  









As I departed they were trying to squeeze in one extra speed round before the bell rang. 


Thanks to the infectious singing in that classroom, I spent the rest of the day with Kenny Roger’s “Know When to Hold ‘Em” song trapped resolutely in my head. 





No comments:

Post a Comment