Wednesday, December 10, 2014

NOODLES IN SECOND GRADE!


I was walking down the hallway minding my own business when I heard the distinct thumping of a musical beat and became aware of exaggerated synchronous movements on the periphery of my visual field.  Curiosity stopped me dead in my tracks and I peeked through the classroom doorway to see what the ruckus was all about. Mrs. Smith’s second grade class was in serious motion!

This apparently happens with some regularity…. 



The participatory activity was from the website www.gonoodle.com and it looked like an advanced Zumba class for short people!  



Arms and legs were flapping in time to the music, concentration was etched on determined faces and little cardiovascular systems were pumping.  I was entertained and intrigued.


You can see what I mean about busy arms in the video clip above! They look a little like synchronized swimmers. This crew give a honking of Canadian geese some serious competition. 

Seasoned first grade teacher Gem Miller shared the noodly website tip with Mrs. Smith and her timing was great.  Increasingly, research shows that exercise has a positive impact on the mind. The link between healthy bodies and healthy minds seems to become more firmly established with each new study. Mrs. Smith has taken this clinical evidence to heart as she applies those awesome benefits directly to the brains of the children in her classroom via video feed. 





The students have favorite movements associated with gonoodle.  Luke mentions “running like a cat” and reports that this activity helps his class to “get their wiggles out.” 





Alex’s favorite video involves ninja moves.  Lily (the adorable purple-shirted exerciser in the very short clip below) says she likes the routine where she gets to do the “rainbow” move. Oh my goodness...the rainbow move.  I didn't get to see that particular part of the routine but I sure do love this girl. (DISCLAIMER - IF THIS VIDEO CLIP WORKS THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO, YOU MIGHT NEED SOME DRAMAMINE TO WATCH IT....)


A sedentary education is counterintuitive to the learning process.  Conversely, movement engages the brain.  The crazy noodling going on in second grade not only improves focus and increases brain function, it helps get rid of unnecessary stress too!

There is A LOT of input about which clip to play when the teacher asks the students for suggestions. On the day Kathy Gordon and I went to take some photos of the class, the chosen selection for their short exercise break was gonoodle’s DINOSTOMP.  Like a well-oiled machine, the class transitioned easily from their quiet independent reading to the bustling movements associated with the clip. 

Mrs. Smith’s instructions to the class began with: “Find a spot where it is safe to do gonoodle!” 



Minutes later there was some wild and wonderful stomping and arm swinging going on.











What astonishing feats our minds might accomplish if we routinely added some physical effort to the mix! 


My hips and I have long experienced a love-hate relationship with pasta.  What a nice discovery, finding there is finally a noodle I can enthusiastically endorse!

No comments:

Post a Comment